Easy French Potato Salad Recipe
A friend of mine decided to have a last minute Memorial day BBQ and I agreed to make a potato salad. Not wanting something boring or heavy, I opted for this light french potato salad. This recipe comes from my favorite cooking lady, Ina Garten.
Like many of her recipes, this one is easy, simple, and totally perfect for any summer BBQ, and the best part…..No Mayo!
Herbed potato salad in second part of post…
- 1 pound small white boiling potatoes
- 1 pound small red boiling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons good dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves
Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.
Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.